Tuesday, November 29, 2011

We Need A Direction

John Henry sat around the conference table. Along with Larry Lucchino and general manager Ben Cherington there were bowls of breads and cheeses, wines of different varieties and steaming bowls of wild rice. There were sandwiches and fresh fruit and all sorts of chocolates. Instead of eating though, they sat around and watched the clock listening to the ticking sound. John especially liked to tap his fingers in rhythm to the ticking sound of the clock. For some reason Larry gripped his fist all the more tight as time went on.

"I need to get to Liverpool, "said John Henry. "I have important work managing my investment. Deciding things like a manager can wait since Red Sox fans will love the game no matter how stupid we are. Ha, I didn't say that on the air did I? I hate sounding dumb like when I said we shouldn't have signed Crawford. That really made me look stupid didn't it."

"I say Valentine, "shouted Larry ignoring John's rants.

"I say Julio Lugo, "screamed Ben.

"I say Tea, Earl Gray, hot, "said John Henry.

The two looked at Henry.

"Look we all need a manager at some point but who cares. We can function without one. Heck its just a waste of money. I think we have more pressing matters like if we sign Papelbon or not, "said John.

"He signed with the Phillies, "said Larry growling every sound out while starring down Ben Cherington.

"Oh, well how about we get a new pitching coach and a hitting coach and third base coach and a..."

"We can't seem to even decide what color carpet we should have in this room, "growled Larry.

"Red..."

"Blue..." shouted Larry.

"I think I'd like some nice wireless stereo headphones for my trip to England, "said John Henry.

"Red..."

"Blue..." shouted Larry.

"Did you guys see last week's Liverpool match. That was quite exciting considering I fell asleep."

Just then Julio Lugo walked in and sat on the floor -- mainly because he failed to sit on the chair miscalculating the distance between chair and body. It was a common misstep.

"Look, Lugo is perfect. He runs a great radio show and he's smart-ful-er about baseball, "shouted Ben.

"He's an idiot, "growled Larry. "And he's not the only one in the room!"

"Look guys, I'm ready to take charge. Just let me mange these guys to a SuperBowl or whatever you call the big...ah...thing...you win...World Playoff?" said Lugo.

"And this is your best choice, "shouted Ben!

"I need an nap, "sighed John with a slight smile. "The Earl Gray tea can wait..."

"I am sick to death of your obsession with tea and sleep John. The Sox are collapsing and all you can do is fly to LiverPool and drink tea. Don't you get it...Cherington is an IDIOT."

"I resent that, don't you Lugo?"

"Absolutely, "said Lugo who spilled the cup of water in front of him while reaching for it. Lugo had bad hand/eye coordination. "I feel we need real leaders who lead and bring in titles and rings and notebooks with rings...hey get it...ringed notebooks?" laughed Lugo.

"That's funny, "said Ben.

"That's stupid, "said Larry.

"Did anyone ever save the crew of Gilligan's Island. I really hope they got off that island and head off to my Liverpool match, "said John Henry.

"We need Valentine, "shouted Larry.

"Lugo, "screamed Ben.

Lugo who leaned back in his chair watched the ceiling form as his entire body crashed on the floor.

"That's some nice ceiling tile John..."

'Wow Lugo, you really think so. I think I do like you as a manager. You can start right away!"

"I quit, "screamed Larry.

"I'm successfuller, "said Ben.

"OK now off to Liverpool. I have a game to catch."

"Bye John, "shouted Ben.

"Bye John, "said Lugo.

"Go to @$#$ " cursed Larry.

John paused and thought about something. A small layer of smoke rose above his hair. "I feel like I should say something...but I have Liverpool to worry about. Bye!"

John walked out and so did Larry but Lugo and Ben stood around and ate food thinking about things like how to get Gilligan off the Island or how to save the Lost In Space ship. Nothing about baseball was ever discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.