Sunday, January 3, 2010

Reunion III

The snow storm has entrapped out team inside of a small restaurant in S. Dakota.

Nobody felt like eating after the news. Nobody else was in the place beside the players. David Ortiz saw to that. He booked the entire restaurant for the two hours. Now that two hours would be two days.
Mike Lowell sat in a corned alone nursing his thumb before Doug Mirabelli walked over and sat down next to him.
"You know, where is that limo when you need one."
It was a reference to the time Doug was brought by limo to Yankee stadium to aid Tim Wakefield in a game.
"That was a long time ago Doug, "said Mike. It was a forced smile.
"Sorry Mike."
Mike leaned over and said, "I should say the same for you. Selling Real Estate isn't baseball is it."
Doug leaned back and said, "just goes to show that nothing is certain in that game. "
"You miss it Doug, "said Mike.
"Miss it. Ya I miss it. I miss it every day but I was never that good. I couldn't hit and that was everything in this game. Besides, I looked stupid in that uniform."
Mike smirked and said, "Doug, I've known you a long time and I've never seen you feel sorry for yourself. That's not you."
"Neither is it you Mike. "
Mike shrugged off the comment.
"Hey, food is ready in ten minutes, "said David walking over to disturb the conversation.
Doug and Mike nodded in compliance. David, wisely shrugged it off and walked away.

In the meantime Julio Lugo and Jason Varitek sat against another table.
"How's your back?"
"As good as your throwing on Julio."
"Hey Jason..."
"Sorry, "snapped Jason. "Not in the mood for this. I wish I hadn't come. Why'd I even sign up but I just wanted one more year. Hard to give up you know."
"Ya, "said Julio. "And you actually have talent!"
Both chuckled at that.
"Ya, you've done some winners but we all have. No good in putting you down."
"Ya, that Dave does it best."
"Is he still writing about you?" asked Jason in reference to a certain unnamed columnist for Red Sox Fun House.
"He was for a while. Julio Lugo the talk show host, the idiot, the moron. I mean, it was getting to me you know but he found Theo Epstein so I'm off his list."
"People just don't understand what you go through to make it through a game. You never complained."
"I sucked though. I'll admit that. "
"Ya, I'll second that, "chuckled Jason.
"
Meanwhile Terry Francona, David Ortiz and Tim Wakefield were chatting in a corner.
"I tell you, you want to make woman love you, come up with a name like Big Papi because Little Papi...not so good."
Tim, politely laughing at the joke leaned back against the chair.
"What about you Tim?"
"What about me? " queried Tim in a confused manner.
"Ya, how come you have no nickname."
Tim smiled and said, "well David, I don't know. I'm kind of boring you know."
"So why aren't you talking with Doug Tim. You two were close, "said Tito.
"Still are but he said he wanted to hang with Mike Lowell. Can't blame him. Poor Mike is down in the dumps."
"Well, according to that crazy writer, Mike's taken care of Theo the old fashioned way."
"Oh no, not Dave. That crazy man, "said David Ortiz.
"I don't know, "said Tim. "The Elmer Epstein skits were pretty funny."
"Be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!"
Everyone chucked.

To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.