Friday, January 1, 2010

Reunion - Part I

David Ortiz sat against the chair. The restaurant was quite and serene with a lined table meant for a crowd. It was in a small wayward town in the middle of S. Dakota. Snow was on the ground. It always snowed in S. Dakota in the wintertime. He had lived up to his reputation. Big Papi had bought out the place for two hours. He was trying to be a team leader.
The distilled energy of Mike Lowell walked in with a cast on his thumb. He looked cold and somber.
"Mikey, you look good."
Mike didn't look good but David wasn't about to remind him of that.
"Stupid World Series reunions. Maybe I'll play for the Cardinals next year. They don't expect Superman in every position. They cheer their players even if they are struggling. "
David said nothing as Mike sat down. The 2007 World Series reunion was something that David always did January 1st. He knew this year might be the last. Times change and players were moving away.
Mike gave a faint smile and said, "Never sign a three year contract after a World Series win. Do it when you're playing in agony with a lousy hip."
"Man Mike, whatever happened to smilin' Mike!"
It was Doug Mirabelli, the backup catcher. Doug was always the man who said the right thing at the right time. Mike gave him a big hug.
"Dammit Doug, didn't think you'd come."
"No big deal, "said Doug. "Timmy paid for the plane. Being in real estate doesn't exactly generate the kind of money to fly in the middle of nowhere. Snow, ya think I'd get a break from snow flying south!"
A small chuckle rippled through the room.
"Team was never the same since you left, "said Mike.
"Ya I know, "said Doug. "My...ah...charming personality and witty lines were awesome." Only Doug could get away with a line like that. He had a charm that could make anything he said put a smile on your face.
"Hey Doug. Good flight!"
It was Tim. The old suit brought a tender heart.
"Tim, I was expecting a strip search in security but they saw my waist line and changed their mind. Then I told them I was trying to sell Real Estate in Michigan. They really started to pity me then and let me go!"
A small ripple went through the table.
"Oh I am so glad the season is over. Last season was tough, "said Mike.
"I know what you mean, 'said Doug. "Even mentioning my World Series win couldn't sell that shack I was trying to sell that was held up with tinfoil and had no walls. Can't figure it out!"
"Well, "said David, still smiling from the joke, "I am so glad everyone is here. "
A burst of laugher fell through the room as Mike Timlin showed up in a pink and purple striped suit. He sat down and unrolled his tie.
"Damn, its the hat isn't it"
Mike Timlin came in with a smile. Everyone knew this was a tough time for Mike Lowell. Mike Timlin had moved on but he longed for baseball. He really missed it.
"Good to see you Mike."
"You too Mikey. "
"Mike is making a cast of his thumb for charity, "said Doug. Everyone laughed at that one.
"Can I take your order?"
It was Dustin and everyone gave him a huge set of hugs. Dustin Pedroia was everyone's favorite team player. No MVP for last year but Dustin was a team player. He was a lot like Tim Wakefield but with a larger voice.
"Come on guys, I'm getting paid by the table!"
Dustin said down and greeted Doug who was cracking jokes like crazy. Everyone knew Doug didn't exactly like Real Estate but he made the best of it.
"I tell you guys. I look at the old newsreel footage of me playing. That camera really does add about 100 pounds!"
Even Mike had to laugh at that one.
"Gee David, couldn't you have picked an out-of-the-way place in Florida!"
It was their fearless leader Terry Francona. Terry sat down shivering.
"David, this is why I like you. You hold this team together."
Mike turned away from Terry's eyes. Tito smiled anyway and said, "they're planin' to trade me too but I dumped a bunch of beer on Theo Epstein and that was enough."
"Hey, hey, hey, Julio Lugo is here!"
Everyone gave Lugo a hug. He wasn't great on the field but he was loved in the clubhouse. He was a nice guy.
"You know, one nice thing about being in St. Louis, that blogger Dave isn't making fun of me!"
"Oh he never makes fun of me, " said David. "I charm him!"
Everyone nodded but rolled their eyes.
"First Lugo's an idiot on radio, then Lugo's an idiot on the underwear ad!"
"Hey, "said Tim. "I looked good in that ad!"
"You think he's writing about us right now, "said Dustin?
"I hope not, 'said Julio. "next thing you know, that crazy chef Arnie is making his death food. Man, lawnmower casserole with nails. Even I wasn't dumb enough to eat that much of it."
Lugo smiled as the joke made him laugh.
Ttio leaned back and said, "I'm hungry. My belly is screaming for...where are we again?"
The chuckles filled the room.

{ to be continued }

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.