Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last night was fun

To me a baseball game is won and I feel happy, but a baseball game won with precision is something to behold. Last night's win against the Toronto Blue Jays involved no errors, no misplays, and solid pitching. The Sox did great and most of all, it was nice to see baseball back in Boston.
When I grew up, errors were uncommon, the fundamentals were paramount and base stealing was required learning. Nothing frustrates me more than fundamental baseball mistakes. I suppose I can see why many don't like the D.H. rule. In the National league you have to do fundamental baseball considering you have an automatic out in the pitcher. You have to steal and bunt and manufacture runs. In the American league, you have to hit for power, pitch your heart out, and hit for power some more. A line up with nine Manny Ramirez's is the American league. A lineup with nine people who can run, hit, bunt, steal, and commit no errors may be more National league.
Last night the Sox won it on solid defense, great pitching and fundamental baseball including their trademark ability to force walks from pitchers. Last night was great to see.

p.s. I will always be a Red Sox fan but my heart is still with Yastremski and Fisk and Lynn and Rice and Burleson and Griffen and Harper and Cooper and Wise and Drago along with so many others that no longer play the game. Heck I'm still a fan of Rose and Bench and the big Red Machine. Most of those names may mean nothing to today's young fans but they mean everything to a kid from Fall River looking for heroes and escape from daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.