Friday, April 16, 2010

One more year.

The rain drained the life of the four who stood against the card table tossing away time in the midst of a rain delay. Jason kept starring at Victor Martinez between hands.
"Fold, " said Mike.
"Hey Jason, come on, show your cards."
Jason came up empty tossing the cards down like driftwood.
David tossed his cards down as well. A full house.
Tim tossed his cards down littering the table. David took the chips and let the small monument of winnings pile up against his chest.
"Might even call the game. Who can play in this weather, "whispered Mike.
"Doug always knew what to say, "said Tim leaning against the chair. Doug Mirabelli was the old catcher of Tim Wakefield. Whatever you said about Doug, he could make anyone laugh.
"Hard to give up, "said Mike starring at the crew lounging around. He used to do it as well but that was another time.
"What was your best moment Mikey, " asked Jason.
Mike sat back and said, "2007 MVP. What about you Tim?"
Tim leaned back and said, "2009, a near no hiter. That was good...what about you David?"
David leaned back and said, "David Letterman. I like TV. Shows my good side."
The straight face and smug attitude made everyone laugh including Jason.
"Oh man, I think my favorite moment was when Schilling missed a no hitter by one out."
Mike leaned forward and said, "are you serious?"
Jason laughed and said, "hey I told him not to call a fastball!"
The laughter was reflective. Schilling came within one out of a no-hitter and turned down Jason's request of a slider. The rest is history.
"Oh man, is this what it's going to be like? "
The question from Jason paused the voices around the table. Sighs ripped through the table.
"Downhill from here, "smirked Mikey. Pretty soon I'll be doing beer ads."
"I'd like to open up a research facility, "said Tim Wakefield. "Maybe cure cancer or something or maybe hair loss. I'm not sure what's more important."
Jason spit out the coke he was drinking. It sprayed on everyone.
"Oh man I will miss this, "said Mike.
David sighed and said, "we all will. All of us right Tim."
Tim nodded knowing his days were numbered.
"We have a hell of a lot of memories, "said Jason. "Two World Series rings and you getting your uniform out of Yankee Stadium.
David chuckled and said, "I gave them luck. They win the world series a year later. "
"I never should have signed that contract, "snapped Mike. "Theo caught me at the right time and frankly, right now, I just want to give it up. I can't take being on the bench. I hate it."
It sucked the air out of the room.
"We have now Mikey. We have now."
Jason turned his head at Victor Martinez. One more year he told himself...one more year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.