Monday, July 27, 2009

Remembering Jim Rice

It's so hard to keep up this blog for an audience of probably one -- thanks Julia! -- but I keep trying, but I have to admit that at some point I'll be closing the blog...perhaps at the end of the August. It's just too hard to keep up anymore.

Today, I just wanted to congratulate Jim Rice. There was a memory that brought me back to 1975, another era where Jim Rice was at his finest. The 1975 team so far has produced Hall of Famers in Carl Yastremski, Carlton Fisk and Jim Rice. That was a team. Certainly Dwight Evans and Louis Tiant deserve consideration but I doubt we'll see them there.
Jim Rice was from my childhood and to see him make the hall was a great moment. It also reflected how much time has passed and that my childhood is a distant memory. I feel old today and while Jim accepts his accolates and now is a part of that great body of legends, I feel a forgotten memory. Isnt't that pathetic!
The reality is that most of us will live our lives in obscurity and bear little witness to recognition of our accomplishments. Perhaps we are the real heroes. We don't do it for fame or glory or awards. We do it because we love life and because our rewards are hidden in our hearts in the pride we take in raising families, holding down a steady and respectable job and just doing our best to take in the life we lead.
I'm happy for Jim Rice. I'm really happy for Jim Rice. He's had tremendous struggles and deserves that acknowledgement but I think of all the players like Evans and Burleson and Doyle who worked just as hard but failed to get into that place of fame. Who will speak their voices and honor their contributions to this game? I suppose for them, they can take comfort in knowing that so many of us still remember their voices.
I recently saw a documentary of Bill Lee playing ball in Cuba. Still using the arm that was torn apart by a fight with New York. Lee remembered that moment, as do I, and basically said you move on. That's what you do in life. You don't get upset about it.' Well put Bill Lee. You may be forgotten by the Hall but you certainly are not for me.
Take care everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Dave - It is tough keeping things fresh and new. Great tribute to Jim Rice and let me know when you start this blog back up again. See around the Brownie Brigade! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments civil.