Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bobby V. gets the 2012 Dunce award

Hi, I'm Joe Derive.  It's that time of year for the DUNCE award and once again it can only go to our favorite manager -- Bobby Valentine.  The tension in the air between Valentine and Alfredo is growing and its of course, from a media point of view, its something I love.


When Bobby Valentine got out of the dugout to remove Alfredo Aceves from Wednesday's game against the Yankees, Alfredo  stood on the opposite side of the mound from his manager. Once Chris Carpenter started to make his way in from the bullpen, Aceves veered behind the mound as he walked back to the dugout, never walking by Valentine and never talking to him.  Ya gotta love it!

Meanwhile, back on August 24, Aceves blew up in Valentine's office because he wasn't used in a closing situation. The next night, he was suspended for three games. Upon returning to the team -- Aceves flew out to the West Coast on his own -- and that lost him the closer's role. I LOVE IT.

I asked Aceves what he thought:

"That's what you say. No, I was there," Aceves said. "I was standing up. I didn't have 
the baseball with me, so what am I going to do? I'm going to go away from the field. What am I going to do?"

 Oh man that was pathetic. Might as well have said that I had itchy underwear and needed to get back to the dugout.  This is great. 
 
I had to ask -- you OK?

"I'm good, yes, thank you," said Aceves. "I'm good. Ask him if he's good. I don't know."

Oh ya...now this is the stuff that keeps my column filled.  Yes!

"I'll have to look at it [on video], and who cares if he showed me up," Valentine said. "If I have to explain Aceves' actions, I'll wind up going across the river and work for Harvard."

So understanding the psychology of a Alfredo requires a Harvard education Bobby?  I just hope you know which shoe goes on what foot in the morning -- or does that require a Harvard education?

Congratulations Bobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.