Wednesday, September 12, 2012

John Farrell talks to Joe Derive


Hi, I'm Joe Derive.

Today John Farrell FINALLY talked to me about what's going to happen to him and the Blue Jays. Notice the great photo on the left.  Farrell likes to dress up in a Star Trek uniform while planning meetings as it makes him feel more insane.

As you know the Sox wanted Farrell to take over after they dumped --- err...after Tito Francona left the Red Sox. 

If the Red Sox decide that Valentine — who also has one year left on his contract — isn’t their manager beyond this season, the Sox seem to think a deal could be worked out with Toronto for Farrell -- why I don't know.  Farrell was a terrible pitching coach who destroyed John Lester and Dice-K with cutters and corner painting -- but what do I know.  I asked John.

“There’s a lot of speculation, obviously, but as I said last week in Toronto. I’m the manager of the Blue Jays. This is where my focus and commitment is. I’m under contract. That’s obvious,” Farrell said. “If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be sitting here today. At the same time, we’ve dealt with a lot of challenges ourselves. I can understand the natural connection, because I’ve worked here in the past, but my focus is clearly with the Blue Jays.”

I honestly have NO idea what John just said by the way.  Granted, I know he's all Blue Jay all the time but really.  Couldn't he express it better.  "I'm committed to the Blue Jays and if I wasn't, I wouldn't be here. "  I mean, you're under contract MORON.

I then asked him about Boston.

 “I don’t know that you can fully anticipate anything. You understand there are articles written, there’s things that are out there. With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

I got that John.  Do you have that statement on loop?  Hey John, how's your family?

"With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

John, did you hear that the stadium is on fire and you'd better get out in a hurry.

"With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

 John, did you know a meteor might crash into earth and destroy it.

"With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

 THOUGHT SO!  If Farrell stayed in Toronto, would he want assurances beyond next season, asked Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston?


"With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

John then went on to blab some more.

“Any place is going to have its own uniqueness to it. Managing is an honor. It’s a challenge at the same time. Different positions have different sets of challenges that are connected to them. Regardless of where you are, the focus remains on your task and duties at hand and doing the best job that you’re capable of at the time and that’s my focus right now, the challenge the Blue Jays have to face. With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."
"

Obviously, managers in Boston are under tremendous scrutiny. 
“I’ve never managed in Boston. I’ve only managed in one place, and that’s right here in Toronto. My focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform. With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

 More on empathizing with Bobby V.

“As a manager, yes. We’ve had a lot of the same situations unfold, and it’s not easy. Its definitely not easy. We come in here today with a rotation that’s mapped out, and yet you come into the ballpark, you’re waiting for the next phone call, and in this case it’s J.A. Happ is out for the year. Not are you on Plan A or B; right now both teams are on Plan T or U. That’s where we’re at. With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform. My focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."


(I'm gonna take a nap now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

I have to wonder what everyone sees in this guy.  Anyway, I asked how much does Farrell enjoy managing?

 “I love it. It’s an honor to be in the position entrusted with the team, to run a team at field level, and that’s never taken lightly. I can’t wait to get to the ballpark every day. With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."


Obviously, Farrell still has ties in the Red Sox organization.

“I had the fortunate ability to work closely with guys that I respect and guys that we have history even prior to working here in Boston, whether it was Mike Hazen and I running the farm system in Cleveland..."


Sorry, I stopped listening after a while.


"...With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

I then thanked John for his time.  He didn't say goodbye.

"With respect to everyone involved, my focus is right here in this dugout in this uniform."

I'm Joe Derive....ARNIE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.