Monday, May 18, 2009

Nightmare Series - 2

Nick Green's Night Of Hell

"Nick Green just blew a game with an error. That was pretty much the headline. I felt Nick Green got a really raw deal from that headline. This is my tribute to him."

The plane back to Boston was a welcome relief. Nobody was happy after the road trip from hell. Everybody felt grief but nobody felt more at the moment than Nick Green. Errors are one thing but game losing errors are heartache and as the backup shortstop for Julio Lugo -- ya 162 game error Lugo and counting – it didn't make it any better.

“Nick?”

Nick didn't bother to look up from the plane seat. He knew the voice.

“It's OK Nick...we have this happen all the time! We're with you! Teams are families.”

Jason Varitek sat down beside him.

“Now as you know...it's kind of tradition to protect the life of the player that...blows a game...NOT that you blew the game. We all take credit for that one but you know...”

Nick knew well enough. Dress up in disguise to hide from the killer fans of Boston.

“Hey everyone...Lugo doesn't have to dress up as Martin Lawrence!”

Nick did not take comfort in that.

“Big Papi not have to dress up as Bernie Mac! That was getting hard to explain!”

Nick nodded.

“So who am I?”

Jason sighed and said, “Bob Stanley!”

Bob Stanley! Mr. Morose! The man's the poster boy for depression!”

Jason sighed and said, “just put on the wig!”

Nick let his left eyelid rise up as he popped the Bob Stanley wig on.

“Here are the ID's and a 70's leisure suit. Bob never moved out of the 70's. “

Jason starred at the orange green polyester leisure suit with the leather cowboy boots and almost wanted to cry.

“We've all been there Nick. I remember the time when Jason Gabbard dressed up like...”

'Oh great. That's so funny Kason!”

“It's JASON, “screamed Jason Varitek. “Got you!”

Jason Varitek left without much eye contact.

“That's just great. So now the joke is SO OLD you're making FUN OF ME!”

“Good evening Red Sox team and happy landings...except for Nick Green who is going to die tonight. Welcome to Boston. We understand Bob Stanley is aboard. Welcome Bob...we forgive you finally. Now as for Nick Green...watch out where you are. Accidents do happen! Have a good evening...except for you Nick.”
Nick scrambled to put on the leisure suit and boots. The music from Saturday Night Fever by the Bee Gees came on loudspeakers. One by one everyone left the terminal. Nick Green felt awful inside. His face dropped down to the floor.

“Welcome Bob...anytime...anywhere!”

Nick smiled at the flight attendant and then dragged himself down the terminal. Nick saw the parade of signs such as “How Green is Nick?” and “Nick Green...R.I.P

“Hey Bob!”

Nick forced a wave.

“We forgive you Bob!”

Nick sighed. Bob Stanley tied up the game in 1986 in the World Series when they were one out away from winning the game with a two run lead. That led to Bill Buckner letting the ball roll through his legs. It was now 2009. That was Boston forgiveness!

“We love you Bob! You're forgiven! ”

Nick saw the parade of people wave to him. He felt his stomach fall under his feet. All the other team mates wouldn't look at him.

“Don't worry Nick...Lugo knows how ya feel!”

The entire place went quiet. Nick heard the silence.

“Hey...he's Nick Green pretending to be Bob Stanley! We can't forgive that!”

Nick saw at once that he was in trouble and ran like a cheetah down the hall. Crowds poured after him.

“Burn Nick...The Grass is GREEN ON NICK!
He ran down the stairs and to the first cab he saw. He ran inside.

“Take it easy Bob...we forgive you!”

Nick nodded and said, “Hotel” with a cough to avoid the obvious voice differences.

“Man Bob...you never age. I mean when 1986 happened I wanted to take you to the nearest tree and burn your body before taking the bones and grinding them under my car but today...I gotta tell you...I love ya!”

“That's...nice sort of, “squeaked Nick.

His cell phone rang.

“This is BOB Stanley!”

“It's me...whispered Jason. Don't worry. We'll get your luggage and meet you at the hotel!”

Nick hung up the phone.

“I tell ya though...if I ever see Nick Green...I'll kill him. I'll take him to the nearest tree and burn him alive and take his bones and grind them with my sledgehammer!”

“Ya...”

“Hey...by the way. You ever met Martin Lawrence. He really loves to travel with the Sox. Nice guy but not too coordinated. I don't know how he does all those pratfalls. Must be lots of special effects!”

“Ya that's it all right. Lots of effects, “squealed Nick feeling tears welt up in his head.

“Forget it...take me to the Charles River Bridge!”
“You're dime Bob...wait a minute. It's on me. We
love you in Boston Bob...except in 1986 when I wanted to take...”

I got it, 'snapped Nick.

They finally reached the bridge. Nick got out as the driver took off. It was a cloudy and cold night with light traffic. Nick started to climb the bridge to the very top and stare at the Charles River. He thought of the error and how the press was going to tear him into bits. He thought of how Lugo was enjoying the moment. Lugo contributed more to disaster than any other shortstop but gets away with it every single time. Why does the press hate a rookie trying to fill in for Jed Lowrie!

WAIT Bob...we forgive you!”

Ya!”

Nick leaned down. It was sort of comforting but Nick leaned down and screamed “I'm NICK GREEN!”

Immediately the fans shouted, “oh...”

There was a long pause.

“Have a good night Nick!”

“Way to go Nick. Go Sox!”

“Hey...the best spot is near the concrete when you jump!”

Nick felt worse than death.

“Oh God...this is horrible. How can anyone take the pressure in Boston anyway? It's just evil!”

“I know what you mean?”

Nick Green looked over and saw none other than Ted Williams sitting right next to him.

“Ted Williams?”
“In the flesh...well not really. Just the spirit. Don't let it get ya kid. Boston is a place where the fans hate ya no matter what ya do. “

Nick leaned back against the steel.

How'd you get through it?”
Ted smiled and said, “and they wonder why I'm such a crank around Boston fans. They cursed me when I was in a slump during the 46 World Series but oh boy...why wouldn't Ted tip his cap when his last day came. I'll tell ya –
I HATE the #$#$ BOSTON FANS!”

Nick sighed and said, “I guess they want to win. ”

“They also forget that we're all human. We can't win every game and face it, errors and mistakes are going to happen all the time but Boston fans demand more and more. They're #$#$ never satisfied.”

Nick leaned towards Ted.

“Man...you are a crank!”

“Told ya, 'said Ted. “Now get down from this #$#$ bridge and go back to the hotel room. More to life than this stupid game anyway.”

Nick nodded and started to stroll down the ladder. He felt better.

“Hey kid!”

“Ya, “said Nick.

Don't go down that way. “

Nick looked down. It was the taxi driver with the Boston police and they had a large fire roaring at the bottom of the ladder.

“You think that Bob Stanley disguise would work with me! Bob Stanley always has a Star Trek ring on his right hand! You're a phony...NICK GREEN!”

“Gee, “said Nick. “This cities insane!”

He looked up at Ted.

“Told ya!”

Nick ran to the top. Police Helicoptors roared in.

“Nick Green. You're under arrest for blowing a critical game. Give yourself up and walk into the fire. Go easy on yourself.”

“Ted help me here!”

Ted sighed and said, “sorry kid but if you're interested J.J. Nissen whole wheat bread...”

“I hate wheat bread!”

Now look here you #$#$ son of a bitch, we're having Goddamn wheat and you'll fucking like it!"

Nick looked down and then at Ted aiming the gun at him.

“Eat the #$#$ wheat bread!”

Nick looked down at the fire. He saw the helicopters coming towards him. He slipped

“Oh my God...HELPPPPPP!”

“Told ya to eat the #$#$ bread!”

AHHHH”


Nick blasted his eyes open. He felt the sweat from the bed. It was just a nightmare. It was all just a nightmare. He opened the door and ran down the stairs to the lounge and grabbed some water.

“You OK?”

He looked. It was the manager straightening up the place. She looked young at about twenty three with blond hair and green eyes. She was tall with a warm smile.

“What...what time is it?”

“4:30 am.

"Oh, "said Nick.

The manager kept on cleaning the hallway. He sat down and enjoyed the chocolate.

"That's Glen Miller isn't it?"

"Moonlight Serenade, "she said. "My favorite. Calms me in the morning."

“Where you from?” asked Nick.

The lady smiled and said, “Ann Arbor Michigan. I'll admit that I don't know the city so well and I'm not a sports fan. I was going to do the Freedom Trail but I can never find it.“

Nick smiled and said, “That's easy. I can draw you a map.”

The lady stopped the cleaner and said, “ya but walking it alone isn't much fun."

Nick felt the air get warm in the room.

"Ah...I could walk with you."

“I would like that very much."

Nick smiled and said, "ah...I'm..."

"Nick Green, "she said. "My name is Beth. I read the papers. "

That smile fell away from his face.

"Ah...so...can you also show me the Constitution ship as well. I can never find it?"

Nick smiled and said, "I have the day off."

Beth grabbed the vaccum cleaner and put it away.

"So do I"

Nick walked upstairs to get dressed. Beth followed. Today was going to be a good day after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil.