Friday, May 8, 2009

Remembering the Dom (no humor here)

In honor of Dom DiMaggio's life, we ask that no other posts be published on this blog untill Saturday.

According to MLB, "The DiMaggio family has announced that a wake has been scheduled for 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 10 at J.S. Waterman and Sons Funeral Home, 592 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02482. The Funeral will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, May 11 at St. Paul's Parish, 502 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02482. The family also requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the BoSox Club, P.O. Box 1432, Wakefield, MA 01880."


Dom DiMaggio was a player before my time. He played for the famous 46 Red Sox known mostly for Ted William's batting slump and Johnny Pesky's so-called misplay. Both of these situations negate the greatness of the team with Williams, Pesky, DiMaggio, and Doerr, all of which remained friends for life.

What I find most remarkable is how the friendship of the four survived their entire lives. Johnny Pesky is the lone survivor at this point having outlived the four. I remember Ted Williams most of all but had the chance to meet Johnny Pesky in person at Fenway Park. To me, at my young age, he was simply the coach of the team. I had no idea of his history. I never meet Ted Williams but growing up in New England it was hard not to see one of his bread commercials. I met many an old timer in New England still bitter about Ted not tipping his hat at his last at bat. Ted was honest when he said that the fans never supported him when he struggled. That was Ted Williams.

I never met either DiMaggio or Doerr until I read the book "The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship," written by Pulitzer Prize-winning author David Halberstam. Then I felt I knew a bit about them. It was a great read and a poignant one. The book was written towards the end of Ted's life. The book focused a great deal on Ted's temper and tenacity. Ted was a fisherman and it seemed only Doerr could handle the beratement Ted would lash out if you couldn't handle fishing in a proper manner.

In the end, the Red Sox have lost a bit of history and a presence. I often wonder what memory most of us will leave on this earth when our time has come. Dom left one in Red Sox fans but will always be overshadowed by his brother. I won't forget. Half of the love of the Red Sox is in its history; a history filled with eccentricity and memoriable moments.

1 comment:

  1. You will be missed Dom. Red Sox fans will always remember how great you were. We all know that the baseball games in heaven just got better. R.I.P.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments civil.